Candle Care / FAQ


 Our Soy Wax is a completely natural and renewable candle wax. The soybean wax used in our candles is environmentally friendly. It releases fragrance naturally, for longer and is water soluble, making it easy to recycle and reuse the jars. We use cotton, lead-free wicks and the highest quality fragrance oils.

When you light your soy candle for the first time, it remembers how far across the surface it melted. For best results, including good scent-throw and prolonged enjoyment of your soy candle, let your candle surface get a full melt pool before extinguishing it on the first burn. This will set the candle’s memory and avoid the candle tunneling down the center. It will also prolong the burn time of your candle. (Times may vary depending on room temperature and environment. Our candles generally need an initial burn of 3.5hr - 4hrs.)

Always use a wick trimmer or sharp scissors and keep your wick trimmed to ¼ inch or 5mm before lighting your Luna Naturel candle. Using a blunt trimmer or scissors will split the threads causing the wick to mushroom excessively. You can help to eliminate this by following the burning and wick trimming instructions. Luna Naturel wick trimmers can be purchased in the ‘Homewares & Accessories’ section of our online shop.

If you use a wick dipper to extinguish your candle, you are coating the wick with wax each time. This wax coating helps to protect your wicks and stops your soy candle from smoking as it does when you blow it out. For best results, use a wick dipper or a candle-snuffer to extinguish your flame.

Soy wax will sometimes release excess oil, especially during significant temperature changes. This often happens after shipping across the country. Generally, a small pool of moisture will form on the top of the candle. This will not affect the candle in any way and will not usually reappear after the initial burn. To remove the oil, use a paper towel to gently wipe it clean. And always remember to store your soy candles in a cool place, out of direct sunlight.

Black residue may appear on the glass of your candle if the wick is not trimmed. Ensure the wick is always upright and trimmed to 5mm before use and each time you re-light your candle. The black residue can be removed with a napkin or wet cloth.

White, chalky marks that appear on the top of the soy candle are a natural characteristic of soy. The whiteness caused by crystallisation is similar to what you get on chocolate over time. Sunlight and dramatic changes in temperature will accelerate the crystallization, which appears as white marks. It does not in any way affect the burning or the quality of the candle and being such a natural product, really cannot be stopped completely.




 *NOTE* Do Not allow water or moisture to mix with the wax as this may cause splattering and popping of the wax.

To prevent hazard or injury please follow these instructions and warnings:

NEVER leave a burning candle unattended.
Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Burn on a heat resistant surface.
Do not burn candles close to drafts or open windows.
Never burn a candle for longer than 4 hours at a time.